Wednesday, December 17, 2008

in praise of the office cookie exchange...

A friend of mine is a brilliant foodie...and brilliant is an understatement....
So when she kindly invited me to participate in her annual office cookie exchange, I was thrilled...and terrified.

While I eschew many girlish pursuits, I like baking...and cooking in general.
That having been said, I worry about participating in these sports for public consumption.

Still, I tested my recipe -- Button Cookies as brought home many years ago by my sainted mother.
I just like them.
The aroma...the colour...the taste.
I tested them...with great success....then the official baking began.

So when the first lot (on new jazzy sheet) hit the oven...and the butter began leaching out of the dough...I was crushed. Batch two did the same...
Then I realized how to cut a quarter of a cup out of butter and we started again. Batch three was the charm. After the office lots were complete, the original batter beckoned...and with some tricky chemistry (more sugar and flour...) all was well. The other halt pronounced the default batch quite tasty...and elicited the support of friends who agreed (always consult a consultant who can bolster opinion with independent assessment).

Off I went to the official exchange...
And what I heard from all the accomplished participants was the same panic...hot ovens...tempermental recipes....panic....

Let me start by saying, the other cookies are brilliant...and when the recipes follow, I'll share 'em.

Office adventures of any sort are not high on my hit parade, but this was fun!
And rumour has it that next spring, summer and early fall there will be jam, salsa and produce just for fun! Now that's worth getting out of a cubicle for....


No comments: